- Function title: Military Surveillance Expert
- Reference: NOC-DE-2020-AD/202
- Location: Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations
- Grades for publication: AD7-8
- Type of post: Military Administrator (AD5-AD12)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: EU/NATO SECRET
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/CMC/CNS - CNS Coordination Unit
- Competition publication date: 11/03/2020
- Competition closing date: 22/04/2020 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the "Civil-Military Coordination" service provides a unique platform for military and civil-military cooperation in aviation, while enhancing airspace capacity, flight efficiency, military mission effectiveness and civil-military interoperability with reduced costs in a secure Single pan-European Sky.
Your role will be to:
- Support EUROCONTROL’s surveillance activities by leading and providing technical contributions to military-military and civil-military surveillance interoperability to ensure that specific military requirements are integrated in roadmaps and technical developments;
- Provide military-related technical surveillance contributions to regulatory activities (e.g. SES, EASA WP, etc.) and to related standardisation activities;
- Lead, prepare and coordinate with national military experts and industry partners technical contributions and studies related to civil-military surveillance interoperability to serve as input to SESAR research and deployment;
- Provide military surveillance expertise, technical advice, guidance, training and contributions to support Network Functions (e.g. Transponder Code Function, SUR, frequency compatibility with military systems, etc.);
- Share expertise and participate internally and externally to relevant projects, working groups, events, etc. and promote the Agency’s civil-military and military-military surveillance interoperability, infrastructure rationalisation and technology convergence, etc.;
- Support and advise stakeholders and international organisations (ICAO, EC, EDA, EUROCAE, EASA, NATO) on civil-military related ATM/CNS issues;
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years (Master’s degree) in a relevant domain (e.g. Telecommunication, Electronics Engineering, etc.) or of 3 years with at least 1 year of relevant working experience;
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate;
- A minimum of 5 years’ military experience in the technical area of military identification (IFF), surveillance/radar and C2 systems;
- Experience of ATM/CNS technical matters (e.g. surveillance technologies supporting aviation infrastructure, military identification/radar);
- Experience in R&D or implementation projects in technical surveillance areas (e.g. PSR/SSR/MSPSR, IFF, Mode S, ADS-B, WAM, etc.);
- Understanding of surveillance technology developments (e.g. PSR/SSR, IFF, Mode S, ADS-B, ACAS/TCAS, surveillance data processing systems, etc.);
- The following would be considered an advantage:
- Understanding of the Single European Sky (SES) and EASA regulations;
- Project Management skills.
- Analytical thinking: Applies a methodical approach to complex information;
- Communication: Fosters two-way communication;
- Networking: Maintains and expands effective networks;
- Influencing: Tailors style and approach to impact others;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach;
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular function, a thorough knowledge of English and a satisfactory knowledge of French to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties are required.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding his/her appointment (whether for an undetermined period or to an established post). At the end of the period of employment as mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, the staff member will, in accordance with the service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex Xb of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) – Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.