ECAC JOB OPPORTUNITY
- Function title: Accounting Specialist
- Reference: NOC-ECAC-2021-AD/322
- Location: ECAC Secretariat, Neuilly-sur-Seine - Information about living in Paris
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of staff exclusively seconded to the ECAC Secretariat
- Grades for publication: AD5-6 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Type of post: Administrator (AD5-AD12 )
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 3 Year (s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: ECAC Secretariat
- Competition publication date: 02/09/2021
- Competition closing date: 30/09/2021 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
- The intention is to create a reserve list for similar posts which may become vacant in the near future. See details in the "Useful information" section.
The ECAC Secretariat serves the European Civil Aviation Conference (ECAC) in promoting the continued development of a safe, secure, efficient and sustainable European air transport system within its 44 Member States. It sustains extensive activities in the safety, security, facilitation, environment and economics field.
The Accounting Specialist is in charge of the accurate maintenance of financial records for ECAC main activities, ECAC CASE II project financed by the EU and support EUROCONTROL’s accounting team.
In this role, the Accounting Specialist is also responsible for implementing the applicable accounting policies and produces meaningful and appropriate financial reporting in compliance with the ECAC / EUROCONTROL internal regulations. This includes the production of both ECAC and CASE II project (annual) accounts according to IFRS reporting requirements.
S/He reports hierarchically to the ECAC Executive Secretary and works under the supervision of the Agency Chief Accountant.
Your role will be to:
- Perform standard specialist accounting tasks inherent to the activities and objectives of the Accounting Service in relation to the:
- daily accounting activities such as AP, AR, General Ledger and Fixed Assets,
- preparation and quality review of regular financial reports to senior management and the annual financial report to the European Commission,
- preparation of statistics on expenditures, etc.,
- preparation of statutory financial accounts and audits of financial accounts in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS);
- Ensure compliance of the activities with the applicable financial rules and regulations;
- Ensure adequate internal controls are in place to guarantee the integrity, correctness, availability and security of financial information;
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant teams (Finance, auditors, etc.) and guide more junior staff as required;
- Contribute to regular reviews to further improve the financial processes and the accounting system;
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 3 years in a relevant domain (e.g. business administration, finance, economics, etc.). Completed university degrees of 4 years would be a strong asset.
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- A relevant professional certification in accountancy (e.g. Chartered Accountant) is desirable.
- A minimum of 2 years’ relevant working experience, including implementation of International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS), ideally in an international organisation.
- Experience in accounting (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Fixed Assets, Capital Assets and General Ledger) and reporting under IFRS.
- The following would constitute an advantage:
- Experience or understanding of EU projects’ funding,
- Experience in a big accounting firm or in medium-sized practices.
- Experience in accounting software.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Experience in business intelligence tools.
- Drafting skills (English).
- Analytical thinking: Analysis information and identifies relationships.
- Customer focus: Adapts services to respond to customer needs.
- Quality focus: Sets and fosters high quality standards.
- Communication: adapts communication to different situations and audiences.
- Planning and organising: Displays an organised and methodical approach.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of ECAC and EUROCONTROL are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English at level C1/C2. The selected candidate will be required to become at least a basic user of French at level A1/A2 by the end of the probation period.
The language levels are as defined in the European Language Levels – Self-Assessment Grid.
- Applications will be considered from nationals of ECAC Member States.
- The successful candidate will be administratively assigned to the EUROCONTROL Experimental Centre in Brétigny-sur-Orge and seconded to the ECAC Secretariat, in Neuilly-sur-Seine, France.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 3 Year (s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into a contract for an undetermined period. Before being established in the post, external candidates will be requested to provide certified copies of their degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates already appointed for an undetermined period: If successful, staff members will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding their appointment. At the end of the period of employment mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, staff members will, in accordance with the applicable service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to their last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates already appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment within the appointment duration limits laid down in Annex Xb to the Staff Regulations/Conditions of Employment, or Annex VIII to the ECAC Conditions of Employment, whichever is applicable.
- Contract staff are eligible to apply after having spent three years of service as contract staff.
- The successful candidate will be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In the case of a reserve list, suitable candidates not selected for a post will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve lists is one year from the closing date for applications.
- Information on the employment regulations governing this post can be found on the web page: https://jobs.eurocontrol.int/employment-rules/
- EUROCONTROL is an equal-opportunity employer.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply.