Sorry, applications for this job are no longer possible
- Function title: Translator (French)
- Reference: NOC-DG-2022-FGIV/464
- Location: Brussels - Information about living in Brussels
- Nature of the competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
- Grades: AC 13/15 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Generic post: Junior Specialist (FG-IV) (13/15 )
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration of engagement: 3 Year (s)
- Security clearance: EU/NATO SECRET
- Directorate/Service: DG/SEC - Central Secretariat
- Competition publication date: 13/10/2022
- Competition closing date: 10/11/2022 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Office of the Director General, the "Central Secretariat" service provides the Secretariat to EUROCONTROL’s governing bodies, their subordinate groups and some of the consultation and advisory groups, as well as advisory bodies to the Director General. In addition, the Central Secretariat provides translation of documents from and into any of the official Agency languages, proofreading, interpretation and the provision of assistance to internal and external translators, interpreters and stakeholders in general for their specific terminological queries.
Your role will be to:
- Translate into French administrative, legal, financial and occasionally technical documents drafted in English or other languages of the Organisation’s Member States in subject areas related to the missions of the EUROCONTROL Organisation and the internal operation of its Agency.
- Revise the translations of fellow team members.
- Revise/correct documents drafted in French, often by authors who are non-native speakers.
- Assist translators from other language teams in understanding complex original texts written in French.
- Administer language testing in French of new recruits, as required.
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of at least 4 years in a relevant domain (translation or applied foreign languages).
- A minimum of 1 year relevant professional experience in translation, preferably in an international environment.
- French as mother tongue and a perfect command of the language.
- Proficient (*) user of English.
- Independent (*) or proficient user of other European languages, in particular German and Dutch, would be a major advantage.
- Experience in the use of computer aided translation (CAT) tools, in particular translation memory systems, and familiarity with databases and internet-based search tools.
- Experience in the use of Trados would be an asset.
- Experience in the use of standard office applications.
- Analytical thinking: You analyse information and are able to identify relationships.
- Team Work: You foster teamwork.
- Quality focus: You deliver a consistent quality in work.
- Planning & Organising: You display an organised and methodical approach.
- Creativity and innovation: You are open to new approaches.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French.
The levels (*) relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year (s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The successful candidate shall be engaged in principle at the basic grade of the advertised grades.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: https://www.eurocontrol.int/careers
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Candidates should go to our Careers website and read the tips on how to apply.