- Function title: Head of Aviation Sustainability
- Reference: NOC-DE-2019-AD/145
- Location: Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations
- Grades for publication: AD9-10-11-12-13
- Type of post: Head of Unit or equivalent (AD9-AD13)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting may be required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/ENV - Environment
- Competition publication date: 10/10/2019
- Competition closing date: 21/11/2019 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation, the Environment Service is responsible for leading and managing the Agency’s activities towards the EU and its agencies, ICAO, States and other stakeholders in support to their environment, climate-change and related polities.
The Head of Aviation Sustainability shall be responsible to lead the environmental activities and interface with relevant stakeholders on environmental matters and associated policies. S/he shall raise awareness and improve understanding of the impact of climate change on aviation, including ATM, as well as functioning as an environmental spokesperson on behalf the Agency. S/he will address areas such as environmental impact of aviation; provide support to EU bodies in relation to aviation sustainability activities; produce impact assessment, studies, etc. S/he will manage teams of approximately 20+ staff.
Your role will be to:
- lead and manage all environment and climate change Agency’s activities towards the EU and its agencies, ICAO, States and other stakeholders;
- function as the Agency’ spokesperson on aviation sustainability and environmental planning;
- communicate effectively on the Agency’s capabilities, competencies, services, products and successes;
- raise awareness and improve understanding amongst stakeholders of the impact of climate change on aviation and the Agency’s role in supporting an improvement in the industry’s environmental performance;
- operate the Emissions Trading System (ETS) Support Facility and ensuring provision of CORSIA support to stakeholders (e.g.: States, the EU, ICAO, etc.);
- provide support to EU bodies in the field of aviation sustainability, such as EASA, SESAR JU, European Commission, etc.;
- develop and implement his/her domain’s strategy, objectives, and work program; and manage its activities and resources (budget and personnel), while ensuring availability of competencies and business continuity;
- contribute to the design and deployment of operational measures and initiatives that can improve the environmental performance of the ATM and aviation system;
- provide stakeholders with environment and climate-change related expertise, data, impact assessment and studies, products and services;
- lead and carry out research and analysis of any new aviation environmental topics and innovative concepts.
- develop and maintain excellent and effective relations with stakeholders and represent the Agency in internal/external high-level groups;
- present strong sustainability plans for the aviation sector to international audiences.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain (i.e.: aviation, business administration, environment, engineering, meteorology, geography, etc.);
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant professional experience including 5 years in management or strategic activities;
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate;
- Experience/knowledge of the environmental impact of aviation (e.g. noise, pollution);
- Experience in producing strategic communications/media engagement;
- Experience in Air Traffic Management (ATM) would be an asset;
- Knowledge or understanding of methods of aircraft emissions/noise/fuel burn calculations;
- Stakeholder management skills;
- Strategic focus: develops business/service strategy in line with the Agency’s strategy;
- Influencing: sells the benefits of ideas;
- Communication: adapts communication to different situations and audiences;
- Managing people: Encourages development as support to business objectives;
- Managing change: manages effectively the change process;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach;
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English and satisfactory knowledge of the other language to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties are required.
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding his/her appointment (whether for an undetermined period or to an established post). At the end of the period of employment as mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, the staff member will, in accordance with the service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex Xb of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- This post entails management activities. Established staff members will therefore have to serve a probationary period of 9 months. This period may be shortened to 6 months if the successful candidate is appointed following a competition preceded by a previous temporary assignment to the post for which s/he was selected.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply.