- Function title: Flight Data Processing Team Leader
- Reference: NOC-MA-2019-AD/162
- Location: Maastricht
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: General conditions of employment
- Grades for publication: AD7-8
- Type of post: Administrator (AD5-AD12)
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: Security vetting is required in accordance with the relevant EUROCONTROL security provisions
- Directorate/Service: MAAS/ATM/Technical Systems
- Competition publication date: 27/11/2019
- Competition closing date: 08/01/2020 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate Maastricht Upper Area Control Centre, the Technical Systems Unit is responsible for the maintenance and evolution of software products which support MUAC in achieving its capacity targets and sustain the growing air traffic demand. In addition, it provides resources to various projects in its area of expertise.
Your role will be to:
- Drive the maintenance and evolution of the mission critical flight data processing system and other products (FLB-FDS, ODAT, FDO, LARA, …) at a very high level of availability, reliability and quality;
- Manage the team in the execution of its tasks and ensure continued proficiency and personal development by setting targets, establishing training plans, ensuring regular evaluation and adjusting targets where required;
- Ensure support to Maastricht’s operations and liaise directly with Operations Room supervisors in the resolution of critical technical incidents;
- Oversee an external supplier remote team, negotiate and manage support contracts with suppliers including the coordination and validation of contract deliverables;
- Provide strategic advice to senior management regarding the evolution of the MUAC FDPS and other mission critical systems in close coordination with the relevant services and teams;
- Collaborate closely with relevant services and associated teams on activities and deliverables (i.e. ATS releases, systems specifications, etc.);
- Ensure that service’s deliverables are compliant with safety, quality and security standards;
- Drive innovation, and lead or participate in projects, working groups, studies and in the design of new products and applications.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science, etc.).
- Internal candidates should check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant working experience.
- Experience with system and software architectures and real-time mission critical systems.
- Experience with the application of modern software development methodologies and standards in large-scale software systems.
- Experience in managing technical teams.
- Knowledge of ATM Systems and operational concepts would be an asset, in particular in the area of flight data processing systems and related functionalities (e.g. CWP, AGDL, …).
- Analytical thinking: applies methodical approach to complex information.
- Communication: fosters two-way communication.
- Managing people: implements effective people management practices.
- Result focus: ensures achievement of shared goals.
- Decision-making: takes decisions based on balanced arguments.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The languages of the Agency are English and French. Thorough knowledge of one of the working languages of the Agency and satisfactory knowledge of the other language to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties. For this particular post, candidates must have thorough knowledge of English (written/oral).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only. At the closing date of the notice of competition, internal candidates must have completed their probationary period.
- This is an appointment for a determined period of 5 Year(s). It could be extended up to a maximum of 9 years or converted into an undetermined contract. Before being established in the post, the external candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- Internal candidates appointed to an established post or for an undetermined period: If successful, the staff member will be appointed under the conditions set out above, while maintaining the previous terms of employment regarding his/her appointment (whether for an undetermined period or to an established post). At the end of the period of employment as mentioned above, if the assignment to this post is not extended or its duties do not become of a lasting nature, the staff member will, in accordance with the service regulations, be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her last type of post, grade and function group.
- Internal candidates appointed for determined period: If successful, the person will continue his/her current type of appointment if compliant with duration limits laid down in Annex Xb of the Staff Regulations/General Conditions of Employment.
- This post entails management activities. Established staff members will therefore have to serve a probationary period of 9 months. This period may be shortened to 6 months if the successful candidate is appointed following a competition preceded by a previous temporary assignment to the post for which s/he was selected.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade in the function group and to the type of post indicated in the vacancy notice, or, if a group of grades has been published, in principle at the basic grade.
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the approval of the selection board’s recommendations.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from to the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should read the tips on how to apply.