- Function title: Director "European Green Sky"
- Reference: NOC-EG-2023-AD/700
- Location: Brussels
- The selected candidate must reside either at this location or within a reasonable proximity that allows for the satisfactory execution of their duties - Information about living in Brussels
- Nature of competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Staff regulations governing officials of the EUROCONTROL Agency
- Type of post: Director
- Job level: AD14-AD15 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Generic job title: Director
- Number of posts: 1
- Duration of appointment: 5 Year(s)
- Security clearance: EUROCONTROL, NATO or EU Secret
- Directorate/Service: EGSD - The European Green Sky Directorate
- Working arrangement: Hybrid work (remote and onsite)
- Competition publication date: 26/10/2023
- Competition closing date: 14/12/2023 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
The European Green Sky Directorate brings under one roof technology, innovation, international cooperation, sustainability and aviation intelligence. Amongst others, it has the following responsibilities:
- proposing, coordinating and supporting the evolution of European ATM;
- managing EUROCONTROL’s contribution to SESAR; managing the Agency R&D and innovation activities;
- leveraging Agency’s data resources to develop aviation intelligence;
- ensuring the provision of impartial performance assessment, traffic forecasts and cost-benefit analysis for European ATM;
- fostering and managing the Agency activities in support of environment, climate change and related policies.
Your role will be to:
- Direct the European Green Sky Directorate (EGSD) in the achievement of the agreed Agency Business Plan and Work Programme objectives and tasks, in a cost-efficient manner.
- Propose, coordinate and support the evolution of European ATM; ensure the maintenance of the European ATM Master Plan and propose Agency plans supporting a strategic positioning of EUROCONTROL within the European Aviation landscape.
- Manage EUROCONTROL's contribution to SESAR; manage the Agency Research and Development (R&D) and innovation activities including industrialisation phase (V4), aligned to the strategy of the Agency and contributing to EU ATM research; ensure that the outcome of the R&D attains maturity with appropriate standards, generic safety cases, toolkits, guidelines and datasets to facilitate subsequent deployment; initiate, promote and manage, on behalf of the Agency, pan-European R&D and industrialisation programmes.
- Leverage the Agency's data resources to develop Aviation Intelligence.
- Ensure the provision of impartial and independent performance assessment, traffic forecasts and cost-benefit analysis for European ATM.
- Ensure the provision of efficient support to the Performance Review Commission (PRC) through the Aviation Intelligence Unit.
- Foster and manage the Agency activities in support of environment, climate change and related policies.
- Provide multi-domain cross-directorate support to the Network Management Directorate (NMD) towards the EC Network Functions Implementing Rule (NF-IR) requirements.
In her/his function as a member of the senior management team:
- Lead and manage the operations of the Directorate and its staff.
- Contribute to the overall strategic management of the Agency.
- Work as a team member of the EUROCONTROL Senior Management Group.
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job and/or as directed by the Director General.
Required qualification, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in the aviation domain.
- Internal candidates can check on the intranet to see what level of in-house experience is considered equivalent to educational qualifications where appropriate.
- Minimum of 20 years’ professional experience in management or strategic activities in the aviation environment.
- Experience in managing large multicultural teams (+/- 250).
- Experience in aviation business planning at corporate level.
- Proficiency in understanding the structure of European air navigation services, evolution of the European ATM and factors affecting aviation.
- Experience in effectively leading and implementing change and proven record of change management.
- Strategic focus: You define the strategic direction of the Agency.
- People Management: You encourage development in support of business objectives.
- Influencing: You know how to build alliances and develop influencing strategies.
- Decision-making: You are able to take complex and long-term decisions.
- Networking: You invest in networks instrumental in achieving business goals.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English at level C1. The selected candidate will have to acquire a basic knowledge of French (level A1).
The levels relate to the European-framework-reference Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- The appointment is for an initial period of 5 years in accordance with Article 13.3(a) of the Statute of the Agency (Annex I to the Amended Convention).
The mandate may be renewed once to give a maximum total assignment of 10 years.
- Before being appointed to the post, the selected candidate will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degree(s).
- Internal candidates appointed for an undetermined period:
If successful, the staff member will be appointed subject to the conditions set out above, while retaining the existing terms of employment. At the end of the period of appointment for the Director post, the staff member will be transferred to another post corresponding to his/her previous type of post, job level and function group.
- Internal candidate already appointed for a fixed term:
If successful, the previous fixed term appointment will be suspended for as long as the selected staff member remains in the Director post.
- The successful candidate shall be appointed at the grade set out in this vacancy notice, or if a group of grades has been published for a job level, in principle at the basic grade of the published job level.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on our Careers site
- EUROCONTROL is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to equality and diversity. In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics in order to complement diversity of teams and rebalance the workforce.
- Candidates should go to our Careers site and read the tips on how to apply.