- Function title: Data Scientist
- Reference: NOC-DE-2021-FGIV/321
- Location: Brétigny-sur-Orge - Information about living in Brétigny-sur-Orge
- Nature of the competition: Internal and external competition
- Applicable regulations: Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL
- Grades: AC 13/15 - Check salary simulations for the basic grade
- Generic post: Junior Specialist (FG-IV) (13/15 )
- Number of posts: 3
- Duration: 3 Year (s)
- Security clearance: None required
- Directorate/Service: DECMA/INO - Innovation Division
- Competition publication date: 07/10/2021
- Competition closing date: 18/11/2021 (23:59 Brussels time)
- Reserve list: Applicable - See details in the "Useful information" section
Within the Directorate European Civil-Military Aviation , the "Innovation" service manages all Agency research & development (R&D) and innovation activities in coordination with other Directorates. The R&D work is mainly organised through SESAR, covering also participation in H2020 projects and engagement in international research coordination, and consultation groups. Innovation manages and develops the Agency’s Validation Infrastructure including the organisation of real-time simulation services.
Your role will be to:
- Design, develop, train, validate and deploy new machine learning models.
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods.
- Enhance data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems.
- Process, cleanse and verify the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Conduct ad-hoc analyses and present results in a clear manner.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyse model performance and data accuracy.
- Write scientific papers and material for scientific conferences.
- Collaborate with stakeholders throughout the Organisation to identify opportunities for leveraging EUROCONTROL data to drive R&D solutions.
- Carry out any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Depending on the previous experience and technical competencies, the role may include also the following or other additional responsibilities:
- Follow the state-of-the-art in data science-related models, algorithms and tools, and share the latest knowledge/trends within the AI community in the Agency.
- Mentor and support the more junior data scientists.
- Delegate appropriate tasks to more junior data scientists and monitor the progress to ensure the successful completion of projects.
Required qualifications, experience & competencies
- Completed university studies of at least 4 years in a relevant domain (e.g. Mathematics, Computing Science, etc.).
- A minimum of 1-year relevant professional experience in applying machine-learning techniques to perform the main responsibilities.
Further relevant years of professional experience and technical competencies will be taken into account to assign additional responsibilities as described.
Experience acquired in the aviation domain would be considered an asset.
- The following would be desirable:
- Experience with common libraries used in data science, such as Tensorflow, Pytorch, Scikit-Learn, MLflow, XGBoost, etc.
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as Python, R, Scala, Weka, etc. Proficiency in at least one of these is highly desirable.
- Experience with data visualisation tools, such as D3, GGplot, Dash, Shiny, Grafana, Tableau etc.
- Experience with Cloud environment (Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform or Amazon Machine Learning).
- Knowledge of optimisation algorithms and solvers.
- Mathematics and especially statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Understanding of a variety of machine learning techniques in supervised, unsupervised and reinforcement learning and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Scripting and programming skills (Python mandatory). Knowledge of Java or C++.
The role with additional responsibilities also requires:
- Experience in leading data-centred projects.
- Supervisory and mentoring experience or skills.
- Analytical thinking: Applies methodical approach to complex information.
- Creativity and innovation: Applies new approaches.
- Communication: Fosters two-way communication.
- Networking: Maintains and expands effective networks.
- Result focus: Seeks to improve personal performance.
The role with additional responsibilities also requires:
- Planning & Organising: Applies planning principles to achieve business objectives.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular job, candidates must be proficient users of English at level C1/C2. The selected candidate will be required to become at least a basic user of French at level A1/A2 before the end of the probation period.
The levels relate to the Common European Framework of References for languages (CEFR).
- Applications will be accepted from nationals of EUROCONTROL Member States only.
- The selected candidate will be offered a contract of 3 Year (s) pursuant to the provisions of the Conditions of Employment of Contract Staff at EUROCONTROL. The contract may be renewed. Before being established in the post, he/she will be requested to provide certified copies of his/her degrees and successfully serve a probationary period of 9 months.
- The grade offered will depend on the relevant professional experience and qualifications of the selected candidate(s).
- In case of reserve list: Suitable candidates, however not selected to fill the post, will be placed on a reserve list for similar functions. The period of validity of reserve list is 1 year from the closing date of applications.
- Information on salary and benefits can be found on the web page: http://jobs.eurocontrol.int/what-we-offer
- EUROCONTROL is committed to non-discrimination and equal opportunities. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates, irrespective of gender, age, disability, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, marital or parental status and sexual orientation.
In the event of equal merit, preference may be given to the applicant from the under-represented diversity characteristics.
- Candidates should go to our Jobs website and read the tips on how to apply. Item 1 includes information on the EUROCONTROL competency models (technical & behavioural) – Candidates should refer to the behavioural competency model to know the behaviours expected for the different levels.